For men, the 80’s was a period of buff and brawn. The 90’s dotcom guy was somewhat geeky and overall non-descript but there was a very important transition taking place paving the way and raising the bar for the Year 2000’s: Mr. Metrosexual. Mr. metrosexual takes pride in his appearance and it has no bearing on his sexuality, he is far less of a chauvinist, his beverage selection is broader than beer and he willingly cooks!!!
These guys have it figured and are reaping the rewards in more ways than one. However some poor chaps are still ‘stuck in the 80’s. If you are one of them, today’s entry is here to propel you and bring you about 3 decades ahead from where you are used to operating. This dish is full proof, requires minimal time and effort and may even peak your interest in the kitchen. Your lesson 1 is about to begin and you will be making skirt steak with chimichurri. The combination of the full flavored skirt steak with the zesty and fragrant Chimichurri Sauce is enough to wake up anyone’s taste buds up.
1 ½ lb, skirt steak (sliced in a half along the width)
1 tsp of Malden Salt (the Pop Rock tasting salt)
Fresh black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
½ a freshly squeezed lime
1 large handful of fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic
1 peeled shallot
1 Jalapeno or serrano chili pepper
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Throw all the Chimichurri ingredients in a blender and give it a couple of pulses. The sauce should be slightly chunky and textured. Taste and adjust seasoning
2. Get a large sized frying pan and heat on high.
3. Season only one side of the meat with salt and pepper
4. Add vegetable (1 tblsp) oil to the pan and lay the seasoned sized of the skirt steak facing down
5. Refrain from moving the meat around so that it can form a nice crust for four minutes each side
7. Blot off any excess grease and allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes so the juices can be reabsorbed.
8. Serve with your fabulous Chimichurri Sauce
All this needs is a simple salad, but if you really have time on your hands, feel free to throw a couple of potatoes in the oven.
Pearls of Wisdom
Here are some guidelines for levels of skirt steak cooking:
1. 3 minutes each side for a rare steak
2. 4 minutes each side for medium rare
3. 6 minutes each side for well done
Please keep all trigger ready hands placed firmly behind your back as the meat is browning to avoid temptations of moving it around the pan or your meat will not achieve that gourmet color!!