It was the Pupar Ji’s birthday – a title given in Hindi, to an uncle married to your father’s sister. Since we get a kick out of the name, Nitin Madan has now become Pupar Ji not just to the kids but to peers alike. Given that this man loves a piece of Americana whilst the rest of the family is on a constant fresh ginger and chili binge, I found a way to marry the two: Asian Pulled Pork sliders.
For pulled pork, the shoulder butt works best. Again, in keeping with the Pupar Ji, this is yet another strange Christening as the shoulder butt is not the derrière of a pig, but rather, the shoulder. This cut of meat has marbling running through it and begs for any kind of slow cooking. It may take a few hours in the oven, but that’s a good time to get organized with other things in the house and once ready, it pulls apart with a light nudge of the fork.
As for the seasoning, for me it’s a dry rub all the way. Coriander powder, black pepper and Szechuan peppercorns and grated ginger that are massaged on to that piggy flesh and then seared off to a bark-like consistency – why would you spoil it with sauces and glazes.
Serve over a buttered bun and some shredded crunchies – whatever is in the fridge – carrots, cabbage, cukes
Recipe for Asian Pork Sliders
- 3lb shoulder butt, excess fat trimmed
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns, roasted and blended
- ½ tsp. 5 season-spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp green chili paste (green chilies pounded in to a paste)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1tbsp. fresh ginger, ground
- 8 cloves
Heat oven to 400 degrees
1) Rub the spice and ginger mixture all over the butt and allow to stand for 3 hours
2) In a large sauté pan, sear the butt so it develops a crust
3) Place in the oven for 3 hours – cook covered for 2.5 hours, basting every 20 minutes with the pan juices and uncovered for last 30 minutes. Remove form oven and let the meat rest for 15 minutes. Pull apart with your hands or fork
4) Reserve pan juices to drizzle over the meat
5) Serve up on a buttered roll with some salad